Of all the meals for the day, breakfast is the most important one. As a saying goes, “For breakfast, eat like a king; for lunch, eat like a queen; and for dinner, eat like a peasant.” If you want to start your day with energy and a broad smile pasted on your face, feast on chocolate hazelnut crepes. This recipe is easy to prepare, and if you’re a mom, you would love to see how your kid’s eyes sparkle with glee as he enjoys breakfast with the Chocolate Hazelnut crepes.
- read more: French crepes
Chocolate Hazelnut Crepes
For the crepes:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups of milk, fat-free
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- Cooking spray
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup of hazelnut-chocolate spread like Nutella
- 2 large firm unpeeled bananas (or an equivalent of 1 3/4 pounds)
- 2 tbsp. milk, fat-free
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- To prepare the crepes, place all the dry ingredients (under the crepe ingredients) into a medium bowl and mix with a whisk. In a separate bowl, add the milk and eggs, beating the mixture with a whisk. Next, incorporate the dry and wet mixtures together and bat again. Cover the already made batter and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Get your skillet over a medium flame and coat with cooking spray. Temporarily remove the pan from the flame and pour ¼ cup batter into the pan, consequently tilting the pan to spread the batter, covering the pan with a thin spread. Cook this for about 1 minute or until it solidifies to form a tanned crepe.
- Using a spatula, carefully lift the edges and flip onto the other side. Just cook the flip side for about half a minute.
- Get the crepe and put over a towel, then repeat the first procedure. Pile the crepes with wax paper in between each to avoid sticking.
- For the sauce, blend together the hazelnut-chocolate spread (or Nutella if you have it), milk, and vanilla extract into a small saucepan. Put the pan onto a medium flame and continuously stir the ingredients until its consistency becomes smooth. Keep the choco-hazelnut sauce warm.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into a lengthwise cut, and then into crosswise. Assemble the 4 banana pieces in a single layer onto the pan and cook until they are lightly tanned. Flip each piece and cook for another one minute. Remove the first batch of bananas and do the same with the remaining pieces.
- Put one banana piece at the very centre of the crepe and fold each side until the banana is covered. Put the filled crepe with the seam down against the plate. Finish up arranging until all bananas are covered.
- Put the sauce into a sauce bowl (you can also prepare a sauce for each individual). Sprinkle crepes with powdered sugar, serve and enjoy with your family!