Veggie Yellow Rice is a healthy rice dish. This nutritious side dish is usually made with fresh vegetables and has a vibrant yellow color due to ground turmeric, which gives it its distinct flavor. Although it can be purchased in a store in a cylindrical plastic package, it’s always better to make your own yellow rice mix for a more homemade taste and texture. Besides, it’s so much easier and faster to prepare than store-bought varieties.
Veggie Yellow Rice Recipe
Veggie Yellow Rice
- Wash and cut the veggies
- Heat the oil in a pot
- Add garlic and ginger paste and onions to the oil, and stir well.
- Stir in the spices and add some water to the pot. (The water should be enough t get the rice done).
- Add turmeric to the pot for the yellow color.
- Pour the rice into the pot and stir a little bit. Add the veggies. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cover the food and cook for twenty minutes.
- The food is ready.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Preparation Method: Slow Cooker Veggie Yellow Rice
- 2 cups long-grain Basmati rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Start by sautéing the onion, garlic, and diced carrots in a pan with olive oil until they become slightly tender.
- Add the sautéed mixture to the slow cooker.
- Rinse the Basmati rice thoroughly and add it to the slow cooker as well.
- Now, include the red and yellow bell peppers, frozen peas, and corn kernels.
- In a separate bowl, mix the curry powder, ground turmeric, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle this spice mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the slow cooker and stir everything together.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on the “low” setting for 2.5 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally if possible, but remember that slow cookers work well without constant intervention.
- After the cooking time is complete, check the rice for doneness and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Veggie Yellow Rice hot, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves for a burst of color and flavor.
Tips for making Veggie Yellow Rice
- Rinse the Rice: Before cooking, rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This removes excess starch, preventing clumpy rice.
- Sauté the Aromatics: Sautéing onions and garlic before adding them to your rice enhances their flavors. It’s a small step that makes a big difference.
- Balancing Spices: Adjust the spices to suit your taste. If you prefer a spicier kick, add more curry powder or a pinch of cayenne. For a milder flavor, reduce the spices slightly.
- Fluff with a Fork: After cooking, fluff the rice with a fork. This helps separate the grains and maintain a light, fluffy texture.
- Don’t Peek: While cooking, resist the temptation to open the lid and check on the rice too frequently. Steam plays a crucial role in the cooking process, and losing it by frequently uncovering the pot can affect the final texture.
- Mango Chutney: The sweet and tangy flavors of mango chutney complement the spices in the rice beautifully.
- Raita: A side of cucumber or mint raita provides a cool contrast to the warm, spiced rice.
- Grilled Chicken: Serve alongside grilled chicken for a complete meal with a protein punch.
- Fresh Salad: A crisp, fresh salad with a lemon vinaigrette is a perfect side to balance the richness of the rice.
- Naan Bread: Warm naan bread is perfect for scooping up your Veggie Yellow Rice and savoring every bite.
Frequently Asked Questions about Veggie Yellow Rice
- Can I use brown rice instead of Basmati rice for a healthier option? While brown rice is a healthy choice, the cooking time and liquid requirements differ from Basmati rice. It’s best to follow a brown rice-specific recipe for the best results.
- Can I make Veggie Yellow Rice ahead of time? Absolutely! Prepare the rice, cool it to room temperature, and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Is it necessary to use frozen peas, or can I use fresh peas? You can use either frozen or fresh peas. If using fresh peas, blanch them briefly before adding them to the rice.
- Can I make Veggie Yellow Rice in a rice cooker? Yes, you can use a rice cooker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Sauté the aromatics and spices separately before adding them to the rice cooker.
- How do I store leftovers? Store any leftover Veggie Yellow Rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a bit of water to restore moisture.
Elevate your dining experience with Veggie Yellow Rice. Discover cooking tips, serving suggestions, and more in our blog. Share the recipe and subscribe for flavorful updates.
Hello! I’m Black Pie, your culinary guide at Food And Meal, Hana Hotel Travel Company Limited. I'm passionate about unveiling the rich and diverse flavors of African cuisine to the world. Each recipe we explore is a celebration of culture, tradition, and exquisite taste. Join me on this delightful culinary journey, where we'll discover and share the hidden gems of African cooking together!