If you’ve never heard of Biryani, you’re missing out on one of the most delicious dishes in the world. The dish originated in the Muslim countries of the Indian subcontinent, and is composed of rice, spices, and meat or vegetables. Some regional variations also include potatoes. If you’re curious about how to prepare it, keep reading to learn more about this traditional dish. Here are the basics of chicken briyani.
Chicken Briyani Recipe
- ½ KG Chicken
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon red chili pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- Ginger garlic paste you can get this by crushing or grating ginger and garlic together. Then, mix with water
- Chopped green chili
- I large onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- Chopped 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander
- 1 cup fried onion
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ½ liters water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 leaf of star anis
- 2 leaves green cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 500 g rice
- 5-6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1. Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes
- 2. Put the chicken in a big bowl.
- 3. Add the yogurt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, coriander powder, ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chili, sliced onion, chopped mint leaves, chopped fresh coriander, and fried onions to the chicken. Mix them all together properly.
- 4. Pour the lemon juice to the chicken and mix thoroughly. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- 5. Pour water into a pot. Then, add the cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns, star anise, green cardamom, bay leaves, salt, and vinegar to the water.
- 6. Bring it to boil.
- 7. Add the soaked rice to the water and stir.
- 8. Boil until it is ¾ done. i.e 8-10 minutes. (It should be able to break when pressed firmly with fingers. Leave slightly undercooked).
- 9. Strain through a sieve and set aside.
- 10. Add cooking oil to a pot and let it heat up. Add the cumin seeds to it and stir.
- 11. Pour the marinated chicken to the oil and mix well for 2-5 minutes. Cover the pot and cook on low flame for 10-12 minutes. Then cook on high flame until the oil separates from the chicken.
- 12. Remove some chicken from the pot for layering.
- 13. Add some of the boiled rice to the remaining chicken in the pot. Then, pour the reserved korma on top of the rice.
- 14. Add fresh coriander, mint leaves, and fried onions to it. Pour the remaining rice into the pot.
- 15. Mix ½ tablespoon of yellow food and 2-3 tablespoons of water together and pour on top of the rice.
- 16. Cover the pot and steam cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- 17. Turn fairly well and bring the pot down.
- 18. Serve hot.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
- Read more: South African Food Recipes
About Chicken Briyani
Biryani is a popular rice dish that originated among Muslims in the Indian subcontinent. This dish is typically made with rice, spices, vegetables, and meat or eggs. Some regional varieties also include potatoes. Although chicken is one of the most commonly used meats in Biryani, many people prefer to cook it with pork or beef. While chicken is the most common meat, you can find many other types, such as lamb or beef.
The marinade for a chicken biryani varies from country to country, but it always contains yogurt, a variety of ground spices, and lime or lemon juice. To make a great tasting dish, you need to leave the chicken in the marinade overnight or for half a day. To make the meat tender and flavorful, you should marinate the chicken for at least half a day. The longer the meat is marinated, the better.
Tips for making Chicken Briyani
Before cooking chicken in a biryani, you should soak the rice for 20 minutes. After the rice has soaked, you can transfer it to the Instant Pot. Set it to Saute(Hi) and add half of the ghee. After the ‘hot’ sign appears, add the chicken and thinly slice the onions. Stir frequently for 10 minutes. Keep the other half for garnishing the biryani.
If you prefer to cook your chicken in a slow oven, you can try using a silicone spatula to mix the rice with the chicken. You can add caramelized onions, saffron mixed with milk, mint, and cilantro to your biryani. You can also serve it with hard-boiled eggs. If you’d like, you can serve a creamy tomato bisque with the chicken biryani.
The chicken marinade can be done in the Instant Pot overnight or for an hour before cooking. You can use whole spices, but be sure to grind them first. Otherwise, the flavor of the spice will deteriorate. Store them in a dark, dry place. When they have cooled, add 3 cups of water and mix them with the rice. Once the chicken is tender, the rice is ready to be added to the casserole.
For the most authentic chicken biryani, marinate the chicken thighs in Greek yogurt before cooking. You can do this the day before or the night before. Then, grill the chicken thighs for five to six minutes on each side. When you are ready to cook the chicken, serve it on top of the rice. Freshly chopped cilantro adds a tangy flavor to the rice. This recipe is the perfect way to serve rice and chicken.
Thanks for your visiting our Food and Meal website. Like and share this recipe if it is useful for you.