This Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake has a beautiful balance of flavors from the sweetness of the vanilla sugar, and the tartness of the cranberries. The crumb is delicate and buttery. A perfect way to end a fall meal.
Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake Recipes
Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle.
- Generously butter a 9- by 2-inch round cake pan. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper and butter parchment.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into a food processor with tip of a paring knife (reserve pod for another use if desired). Add sugar and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl.
- Pulse cranberries with 1/2 cup vanilla sugar in processor until finely chopped (do not purée).
- Whisk together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat together 1 stick butter and 1 cup vanilla sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down side and bottom of bowl.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour,until just combined.
- Spread half of batter in pan, then spoon cranberries over it, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edge. Top with remaining batter and smooth top.
- Blend remaining 1/4 cup vanilla sugar with remaining tablespoon each of butter and flour using your fingertips. Crumble over top of cake.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted into cake (not into cranberry filling) comes out clean and side begins to pull away from pan, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan 30minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely, crumb side up.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Method: Oven-Baked Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9×9-inch (23×23 cm) square baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set this dry mixture aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together the softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, which should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, alternating with the sour cream. Begin and end with the dry mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the fresh cranberries and chopped walnuts (if using).
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Remove the coffee cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the coffee cake has cooled, dust the top with powdered sugar.
- Slice, serve, and savor the wonderful flavors of your Oven-Baked Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake.
Tips for making Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake
- Softened Butter is Key: Ensure your butter is properly softened for a light and tender crumb. Room temperature butter blends effortlessly with sugar.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: Mix the batter until just combined. Overmixing can result in a dense texture rather than the desired tender crumb.
- Flour the Cranberries: Toss fresh cranberries in a little flour before adding them to the batter. This prevents them from sinking to the bottom during baking.
- Customize with Nuts: Chopped walnuts or pecans add a delightful crunch and complement the cranberry and vanilla flavors. Add them if you enjoy the extra texture.
- Whipped Cream and Berries: Top each slice with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a handful of fresh berries for an indulgent treat.
- Vanilla Glaze Drizzle: Drizzle a simple vanilla glaze (powdered sugar + milk) over the coffee cake for extra sweetness.
- Coffee Pairing: Serve slices with a steaming cup of your favorite coffee. The combination is heavenly.
- Breakfast or Dessert: Enjoy a slice for breakfast with a side of yogurt, or serve it as a dessert after a meal. It’s versatile!
- Ice Cream Topping: Warm a slice of coffee cake and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful dessert.
FAQs about Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake
- Can I use frozen cranberries? Fresh cranberries are recommended for the best texture and flavor. If using frozen, do not thaw them; add them directly to the batter.
- Can I make this coffee cake ahead of time? Absolutely! It can be made a day in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- How do I store leftovers? Leftover coffee cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Can I freeze Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake?Yes, you can freeze it. Wrap slices tightly in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
- Can I omit the nuts for a nut-free version?Absolutely! You can skip the nuts for a nut-free version without compromising the overall taste and texture.
Experience the magic of Cranberry Vanilla Coffee Cake with our tried-and-true recipe. Share the love, share the recipe. Subscribe for more culinary adventures