Pierre Hermé has a wonderful cookbook that focuses only on chocolate desserts. These cookies Hermé are called sparklers for their sugary edges. This is a delicate cookie dough that is refrigerated, rolled, then cut into 1/2 rounds. The flavor is rich and delicious, making these cookies a great addition to a sweet table.
Chocolate Sparklers Recipes
Pierre Hermé’s Chocolate Sparklers
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt together and keep close at hand.
- Place the butter in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed to soften.
- Gradually add the sugar and vanilla, and beat, scraping sides down, until smooth and creamy but not airy.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a ball, wrap each in plastic, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Working on a smooth surface, form each piece of dough into a log that is 1 1/2 inches thick and 7 1/2 inches long. Use your hand to press down the dough as you form the log to make sure it is solid. Roll gently to smooth it out.
- Wrap the logs in plastic and chill for 1-2 hours. (The dough can be stored at this point for up to 1 month.)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk. Spread the sugar on a pice of waxed paper.
- Brush the logs very lightly with egg yolk, and roll in the sugar.
- Using a sharp slender knife, slice each log into cookies 1/2 inch thick.
- Arrange cookies on a baking sheet about an inch apart and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a rack to cool to room temperature
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Method: Chocolate Sparklers in the Microwave
- 200g (7 oz) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rice cereal (for added crunch)
- Prepare the Microwave-Safe Bowl: Choose a microwave-safe bowl that’s large enough to accommodate the ingredients without overflowing. Ensure it’s clean and dry.
- Melt the Chocolate and Butter: Place the finely chopped dark chocolate and unsalted butter in the microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring each time, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. This should take about 2-3 intervals.
- Add Condensed Milk and Vanilla: Stir in the condensed milk and vanilla extract into the melted chocolate mixture. Mix until well combined. The condensed milk will add sweetness and creaminess to the mixture.
- Fold in Rice Cereal: Gently fold in the rice cereal to the chocolate mixture. This will give your Sparklers that delightful crispy texture.
- Shape and Cool: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop spoonfuls of the chocolate mixture onto the parchment paper, shaping them into small rounds or bite-sized clusters. Leave some space between each Sparkler.
- Chill and Set: Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 30-45 minutes, or until the Sparklers have hardened. This quick cooling process helps them hold their shape.
- Enjoy: Once the Sparklers have set, they’re ready to be devoured. Grab one (or a few) and savor the chocolatey goodness!
Tips for making Chocolate Sparklers
- Quality Chocolate Matters: Begin with high-quality chocolate. It’s the star of the show, so choose dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa for an intense flavor experience.
- Mind the Microwave: If you opt for the microwave method, exercise caution. Use short bursts and stir frequently to prevent the chocolate from overheating and becoming grainy.
- Keep It Dry: Ensure all your equipment, including bowls and utensils, are completely dry. Even a tiny drop of water can cause chocolate to seize and lose its silky texture.
- Experiment with Add-Ins: Don’t hesitate to get creative with add-ins like chopped nuts, dried fruits, or a pinch of sea salt. These can introduce exciting textures and flavors to your Sparklers.
- Use a Silicone Mat: When shaping your Sparklers, consider using a silicone baking mat. It prevents sticking and makes cleanup a breeze.
- Cool for the Perfect Crunch: Allow your Sparklers enough time to cool and set properly. This ensures they achieve that ideal crispy texture that contrasts beautifully with the chocolate.
- Storage Savvy: Store your finished Sparklers in an airtight container at room temperature. Placing them in the refrigerator can cause condensation, which affects their texture.
- Gift-Worthy Treats: Package your Sparklers in a decorative box or tin for a delightful homemade gift. They’re perfect for special occasions or as a gesture of appreciation.
- A Scoop of Ice Cream: Elevate your Sparklers by serving them alongside a scoop of your favorite ice cream. The contrast between warm, gooey Sparklers and cold, creamy ice cream is pure indulgence.
- Afternoon Tea Delight: Pair your Sparklers with a steaming cup of tea for an afternoon treat. Their crispy exterior and rich chocolatey interior make them a delightful tea-time companion.
- Dessert Platter: Arrange your Sparklers on a dessert platter alongside other bite-sized treats like mini cheesecakes or fruit tarts. It’s a perfect addition to any dessert spread.
- Party Pleaser: Serve Sparklers at gatherings and parties as a sweet finger food. Guests can grab one (or more) as they mingle, making them a crowd-pleaser.
- Edible Gifts: Package your Sparklers in a decorative box or tin and share them as thoughtful edible gifts for friends and family. They’re sure to be appreciated.
FAQs of Chocolate Sparklers
- Can I use milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate for Sparklers? Absolutely! While dark chocolate is traditional, you can use milk chocolate for a sweeter variation. Adjust the sweetness to your liking.
- How long do Sparklers stay fresh, and how should I store them? Store Sparklers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. Avoid refrigeration, as it can affect their texture.
- Can I freeze Chocolate Sparklers for later?Freezing is not recommended, as it can cause the chocolate to become brittle and lose its delightful texture.
- Can I add different toppings or drizzles to Sparklers? Absolutely! Get creative with toppings like crushed nuts, colorful sprinkles, or a drizzle of white chocolate for added flair.
- What’s the best way to package Sparklers for gifting? Place Sparklers in decorative boxes or tins lined with parchment paper. Add a ribbon or personalized label for a thoughtful touch.
Discover the joy of homemade Chocolate Sparklers with our step-by-step guide. Indulge in crispy, gooey goodness. Share the recipe and subscribe for more delightful creations.