These almond thumbprint cookies are perfect when you are craving a sweet snack without any of the usual guilt. These are from Gwyneth Paltrow’s first book, My Father’s Daughter, which is full of delicious, kid-friendly snack and dessert recipes with a healthy twist. You can also use this recipe to make an elegant jam tart for a sweet table.
Almond Thumbprint Cookie Recipes
Almond Thumbprint Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Form into tablespoonful balls and space them evenly on cookie sheets.
- Using your index finger or the top of a wooden spoon, make in indent in each cookie. Fill each indent with a spoonful of jam, or pipe using a pastry bag.
- Bake until cookies are evenly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool before eating.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Method: Almond Thumbprint Cookies with an Air Fryer
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam (or your preferred filling)
- Prepare the Cookie Dough: In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour and salt, mixing until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Shape the Cookies: Roll the chilled dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in the finely chopped almonds, ensuring they are evenly coated. Place the coated balls on a parchment-lined tray.
- Create Thumbprints: Using your thumb or the back of a teaspoon, make a deep well in the center of each cookie, leaving enough space for the filling. Be gentle to avoid cracking the cookies.
- Fill the Thumbprints: Spoon a small amount of raspberry jam (or your chosen filling) into each well, filling it to the brim.
- Air Fry the Cookies: Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (180°C). Place the cookies in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them to allow for even cooking. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air Fry for Perfection: Cook the cookies at 350°F (180°C) for 8-10 minutes or until they turn a lovely golden brown and the jam is bubbling. Keep a close eye on them to prevent overcooking.
- Cool and Enjoy: Remove the cookies from the air fryer and let them cool on a wire rack. The jam filling will set as they cool. Once cooled, indulge in these delightful Almond Thumbprint Cookies.
Tips for making Almond Thumbprint Cookie
- Pair with Tea or Coffee: Almond Thumbprint Cookies are a match made in heaven with a cup of tea or coffee. The nutty, buttery cookies complement the warm, comforting flavors of your favorite brew.
- Ice Cream Sandwiches: Get creative by sandwiching a scoop of vanilla ice cream between two Almond Thumbprint Cookies. The contrast of warm cookies and cold ice cream is simply divine.
- Dessert Platter: Create an enticing dessert platter by arranging these cookies alongside other treats like chocolate truffles, fruit tarts, and macarons. It’s a surefire way to impress your guests.
- Gifts from the Heart: Package a dozen Almond Thumbprint Cookies in a charming box or tin, tied with a ribbon. They make heartfelt and delicious gifts for birthdays, holidays, or just to brighten someone’s day.
- Whipped Cream and Berries: For an extra touch of elegance, serve these cookies with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a few ripe berries. The combination of textures and flavors is divine.
- Chilled Dough: Ensure your cookie dough is properly chilled before rolling it into balls. This helps the cookies maintain their shape during baking and prevents spreading.
- Even Thumbprints: When creating the thumbprints in the cookies, aim for uniformity in size and depth. This ensures that the jam or filling bakes evenly.
- Jam Selection: Experiment with different jams to find your favorite flavor combination. Apricot, strawberry, or even lemon curd can be delightful alternatives to raspberry jam.
- Storage: To keep your Almond Thumbprint Cookies fresh, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze them in a single layer and then transfer to a freezer bag. They can be enjoyed for up to three months.
- Avoid Overbaking: Keep a close eye on your cookies in the air fryer to prevent overbaking. They should be golden brown, not overly dark. The jam should bubble but not burn.
Frequently Asked Questions about Almond Thumbprint Cookies
- Can I use a different nut for the almond filling? Absolutely! You can experiment with other nuts like pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts to create a unique twist on these cookies.
- How do I prevent the jam from overflowing during baking? To prevent jam overflow, make sure not to overfill the thumbprints with jam. A small spoonful is sufficient. Also, be cautious not to press too hard when creating the thumbprints.
- Can I make the cookie dough ahead of time and freeze it? Yes, you can. Wrap the cookie dough tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before using.
- Can I substitute gluten-free flour for all-purpose flour in this recipe? Certainly! You can use a gluten-free flour blend as a one-to-one replacement for all-purpose flour to make gluten-free Almond Thumbprint Cookies.
- How should I store leftovers, and can they be reheated? Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. To refresh them, place them in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for a few minutes to restore their crispness.
Bake Almond Thumbprint Cookies like a pro. Discover tips, serving ideas, and more. Share the recipe and subscribe for future culinary inspiration!
I'm Tracy F Hilton, a devoted culinary professional shaped by a mix of natural aptitude and refined skills from a top culinary school. In the dynamic kitchen environment, I'm a catalyst for seamless operations and timely, high-quality dish preparation. My culinary creations are a blend of art and skill, offering visually and gustatorily delightful experiences. A learner at heart, I'm continuously honing my craft, embracing new techniques, and culinary innovations. My positive, collaborative nature is amplified in fast-paced settings, showcasing my commitment to team efficiency and guest satisfaction. Each dish I present is a meticulous blend of tradition and innovation, promising an unforgettable dining experience that marries taste, aroma, and aesthetic appeal in perfect harmony. Join me on a gastronomic journey where each bite encapsulates a rich, evolving narrative of flavors and culinary artistry.