Welcome to my kitchen, where we’re about to embark on a culinary journey with a recipe close to my heart – Spinach Pie. This savory delight has been a family favorite for generations, and I’m thrilled to share it with you. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a newbie in the kitchen, this recipe is a winner.
Spinach Pie Recipes
Spinach Pie with Feta and Pine Nuts
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper freshly
- 3 ounce spinach defrosted, packages frozen chopped
- 6 extra-large eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs plain dry
- 1/2 pound feta cheese cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pignoli pine nuts
- 1/4 pound salted butter melted
- 6 sheets phyllo dough defrosted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, sauté the onions with the olive oil until translucent and slightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- Squeeze out and discard as much of the liquid from the spinach as possible. Put the spinach into a bowl and then gently mix in the onions, eggs, nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, feta, and pignoli.
- Butter an ovenproof, nonstick, 8-inch sauté pan and line it with 6 stacked sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with melted butter and letting the edges hang over the pan. Pour the spinach mixture into the middle of the phyllo and neatly fold the edges up and over the top to seal in the filling. Brush the top well with melted butter. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden brown and the filling is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Method: Spinach Pie in an Air Fryer
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for brushing
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and minced garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add the chopped spinach to the skillet. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts and any excess moisture evaporates.
- Remove the skillet from heat and transfer the spinach mixture to a bowl.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then add the crumbled feta, grated Parmesan, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Prepare the Pastry:
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut it into four equal squares.
- Assemble the Spinach Pies:
- Place a generous spoonful of the spinach and cheese mixture in the center of each pastry square.
- Fold the pastry over the filling to create a triangle or turnover shape. Use a fork to crimp the edges and seal the pies.
- Air Fry the Spinach Pies:
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the spinach pies in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them.
- Brush the tops of the pies with a little olive oil for a golden finish.
- Air fry for approximately 15 minutes or until the pies are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Carefully remove the Spinach Pies from the air fryer.
- Let them cool for a minute before serving.
- These pies are delightful when served hot and crispy, making them a perfect appetizer or snack.
Tips for making Spinach Pie
1. Side Delights:
- Serve your Spinach Pie alongside a crisp, refreshing salad. A Greek salad with fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and a tangy vinaigrette pairs wonderfully with the savory pie.
- A side of roasted or grilled vegetables, such as bell peppers, zucchini, or eggplant, adds depth and nutrition to your meal.
2. Garnish Galore:
- Sprinkle some extra crumbled feta cheese or grated Parmesan over the hot Spinach Pies just before serving for an extra burst of flavor.
- Freshly chopped herbs like parsley, dill, or basil make for a vibrant and aromatic garnish.
3. Dip It Good:
- Provide a selection of dipping sauces for your guests to enjoy. Tzatziki, hummus, or a simple marinara sauce are all excellent choices.
- A drizzle of balsamic glaze or a squeeze of lemon juice can add a zesty twist to your Spinach Pies.
4. Beverage Bliss:
- Complement the savory flavors of the pies with a glass of crisp white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay, for an adult gathering.
- For a non-alcoholic option, consider serving homemade lemonade or a sparkling water with a wedge of lemon.
5. Creative Presentation:
- Get creative with your presentation by cutting the Spinach Pies into smaller pieces and arranging them on a platter with toothpicks for a delightful appetizer.
- If you’re hosting a brunch, serve the pies alongside a selection of fresh fruits and breakfast pastries.
1. Flaky Pastry Perfection:
- Ensure your puff pastry is properly thawed before using it. Thaw it in the refrigerator for several hours or follow the package instructions.
- When working with puff pastry, handle it gently to preserve its flakiness. Avoid over-rolling or pressing down too hard.
2. The Spinach Squeeze:
- After sautéing the spinach, make sure to squeeze out any excess moisture. Excess water can lead to soggy pies, so a good squeeze is crucial.
3. Customized Fillings:
- Feel free to get creative with your fillings. You can add ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, or different types of cheese to customize the flavor.
4. Perfect Crimping:
- When sealing your Spinach Pies, use a fork to crimp the edges. This not only ensures a secure seal but also adds a decorative touch.
5. Air Fryer Advantages:
- If you’re using an air fryer to cook your Spinach Pies, remember that it offers a faster cooking time and a crispy result. Keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.
Frequently Asked Questions about Spinach Pie
- Can I prepare Spinach Pies in advance?Yes, you can assemble the pies and refrigerate them a few hours before baking or air frying. This can be a time-saver when entertaining.
- Can I freeze Spinach Pies for later? Absolutely! After assembling, freeze the pies individually on a baking sheet until firm, then transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. They can be baked or air-fried directly from the freezer with a slightly longer cooking time.
- How do I reheat leftover Spinach Pies? To reheat refrigerated Spinach Pies, place them in a preheated oven or air fryer for a few minutes until they’re hot and crispy again. Frozen pies can be reheated without thawing; just add a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
- Can I use fresh spinach instead of frozen?Yes, you can use fresh spinach. Sauté it until wilted, then squeeze out excess moisture before using it in your pies.
- Can I make mini Spinach Pies for appetizers?Absolutely! Simply cut the puff pastry into smaller squares and adjust the filling amount accordingly. You can also use a different shape, like triangles, for a unique appetizer presentation.
Savor Spinach Pie Perfection: Master Spinach Pie with expert tips and creative serving suggestions.