If you love citrusy bursts found in every bite of a chicken dish, then this orange chicken recipe comes highly recommended. The recipe is reminiscent of Panda Express’ own signature orange chicken recipe dish which is well-loved by their customers.
Chinese Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. veggie oil for frying
- ½ cup cornstarch plus 1 tbsp.
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tbsp. ginger root minced
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- ½ tsp. crushed hot red chilli pepper
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. rice wine
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
Orange Sauce for Stir Fry
- 1 ½ tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp. water
- 5 tbsp. sugar
- 5 tbsp. white vinegar
- Zest of 1 orange
- range chicken with fried noodle
- Prepare the chicken pieces by washing and placing them in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, stir in egg, salt, pepper and a tablespoon of oil and mix well.
- Mix the corn starch and flour together.
- Next, dipone piece of chicken into the egg mixture then coat it with flour mixture. Do this to all of the remaining chicken pieces.
- Get your wok or deep fryer and heat up oil up to 375⁰
- Add the chicken, maintaining small batches at a time and fry them for about 3-4 minutes until they’re golden brown (remember not to over-fry the chicken).
- Place the fried chicken on paper towels to drain excess oil and set aside.
- Clean the wok (or use a saucepan or ordinary skillet) and heat it up for 15 seconds over high temperature.
- Pour 1 tbsp. of oil then add ginger and garlic. Stir-fry until you smell their fragrance which may entail you 10 seconds of the process.
- Add the crushed chillies and chopped green onions.
- Next, add the rice wine and stir for three seconds.
- You can then pour the orange sauce and bring into a boil.
- Add the cooked chicken and stir them well until they’re well mixed.
- Stir water into the remaining tablespoon of corn starch until the mixture becomes smooth. Add this to the chicken and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Finish it with sesame oil and orange zest but these two can be optional, too.
- you may also like this roasted chicken with rice recipe
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Orange Chicken Sauce
The key to creating the most delicious Orange Chicken is to find the perfect sauce. The sauce is a combination of orange juice, sugar, and other ingredients. It’s served over white rice and works well as a quick, healthy, and flavorful meal. It’s also one of the most popular Chinese takeout dishes in America. A delicious and tangy sauce makes Orange Chicken the perfect meal for all occasions. And a little bit of orange is a good thing!
To make the sauce, combine one tablespoon cornflour or cornstarch with 3 tbsp cold water. Stir in the remaining ingredients, including the orange juice and rice vinegar. While the oil is heating, add the chicken pieces one at a time and cook until the chicken is fully cooked through. Serve hot or cold with your favorite steamed vegetable, such as broccoli or cauliflower. The orange sauce can be refrigerated for up to three days.
Once you’ve made the sauce, you can add other ingredients, such as green onions, sesame seeds, and sliced chicken. Then, serve the orange chicken with homemade noodles, which can be a good way to use up leftover sauce. The sauce can be frozen for up to three months. A delicious orange chicken is the perfect dish for any occasion. And if you’re looking for a healthy option, make sure you try Orange Chicken with sesame seeds!
Tips for making Orange Chicken
Orange chicken is a common Chinese dish, but you can easily make your own version at home. The flavor is sweet and tangy, with a slight heat in the sauce. It is made with orange juice, soy sauce, chili sauce, and sugar. To prepare Orange Chicken at home, you’ll need a large skillet and a large non-stick pan. Once the chicken is cooked, you’ll need to cook it in a hot skillet.
Once the oil is hot, place the chicken cubes and cook them for about 5 minutes per side. During this process, be sure to work in batches, so you don’t overcook the chicken. It’s best to fry the first batch of chicken in a skillet and then drain it on paper towels. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken cubes. The chicken is ready when it’s golden brown and coated with the sticky sauce.
If you’re in a hurry and don’t want to spend time frying chicken, you can always prepare it in advance. You can also prepare Orange Chicken ahead of time, then freeze it and cook it later. Despite the fact that it won’t be crispy, it’s still very tasty and will satisfy your cravings for a fast meal. Using popcorn chicken will make the process much easier for you and result in crisp, flavorful Orange-Chicken.
How to Storage
Orange Chicken is an interesting, flavorful Chinese staple that’s found its way to many American mall food courts. In fact, it’s more delicious when cooked with a sweet orange sauce than when made with soy sauce. It’s also a great choice for picnics and casual outdoor dining. But be sure to keep in mind that it’s important to prepare a sauce beforehand. This is where your recipe comes in handy. Then, you can prepare it in advance and store it until you’re ready to eat it.
When you’re ready to eat your Orange Chicken, it’s best to make it ahead of time. It keeps in the refrigerator for three to four days and can be frozen for up to a month. The chicken will lose some of its crispiness over time, so it’s best to serve it immediately. This recipe makes excellent leftovers. And since orange sauce is so flavorful, it will go well with any type of dish.