This hearty CHAKALAKA CHICKEN is saucy, delicious and goes a long way. Serve with your favourite savoury rice and chips or alternatively, pita bread and salad.
- 1 TSP of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Chicken Parts
- Mexican chili
- Black pepper
- Baked beans
- Tomato seed
- Green pepper
- Curry powder
- Wash the chicken and your veggies.
- Grate the carrot and put it in a bowl.
- Add 1 TSP of salt, 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (these
- seeds are usually used for Indian based dishes, but it works for this
- dish as well), Mexican chili spice, and bio spice. Also, some black
- pepper and garlic to taste
- You can use any spice for this recipe; it all depends on
- you. Many people use these spices because they love the flavor with
- the chicken.
- Mix all the spices together with the chicken. Make sure it
- is marinated perfectly. Let it chop and marinate for a few minutes.
- Dice the onion, tomato, and green pepper. (Be mindful of
- the knife).
- Make sure you wash all your vegetables before you chop
- them up.
- You can use either one or two onions and tomatoes for
- this recipe.
- (You can use a green, red, or yellow pepper or all of
- them for this recipe just for a bit of color).
- Place the chicken into a hot pan with oil.
- Make sure that the pan is nice and hot.
- Turn the chicken pieces around and make sure both sides
of the chicken get brown.
- Note: The chicken shouldn’t stay too long into this pan. It
should be at least 5 to 10 minutes just until that golden brown color.
- Bring down and leave to cool.
- Add the diced onions to a hot pan.
- Let the onion simmer for about a minute
- Don’t let them cook too much to retain its crunchiness.
- Then, add your green pepper, tomato, and fresh red chili.
You can use any chili with this recipe.
- Make sure you mix everything together.
- Add the grated carrots to the onion mix and stir everything
- Make sure this mixture is not too fatty.
- Let the carrots simmer and then add your baked beans to
the carrot mix and a quarter of a teaspoon of tomato paste.
- Mix everything together. Add a little bit of chugga-lugga
spice and some curry powder and water and mitt itself.
- Place the chicken in an oven tray and add the mix on top
of the chicken. Make sure you’ve got all of it for that amazing taste.
- Place the chicken in a preheated oven of 180 degrees for
20 to 25 minutes
- Place in a plate and add parsley or coriander to garnish
Read more African Easy Recipes
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 468 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
Keywords: Chakalaka, south africa chakalaka, chakalaka recipe, Chakalaka chicken,