How to make CHAKALAKA CHICKEN
This hearty CHAKALAKA CHICKEN is saucy, delicious and goes a long way. Serve with your favourite savoury rice and chips or alternatively, pita bread and salad.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time40 min
- Total Time45 min
- Serving Size6
- 1 TSP of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Chicken Parts
- Mexican chili
- Black pepper
- Baked beans
- Tomato seed
- Green pepper
- Curry powder
- Wash the chicken and your veggies.
- Grate the carrot and put it in a bowl.
- Add 1 TSP of salt, 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (these
- seeds are usually used for Indian based dishes, but it works for this
- dish as well), Mexican chili spice, and bio spice. Also, some black
- pepper and garlic to taste
- You can use any spice for this recipe; it all depends on
- you. Many people use these spices because they love the flavor with
- the chicken.
- Mix all the spices together with the chicken. Make sure it
- is marinated perfectly. Let it chop and marinate for a few minutes.
- Dice the onion, tomato, and green pepper. (Be mindful of
- the knife).
- Make sure you wash all your vegetables before you chop
- them up.
- You can use either one or two onions and tomatoes for
- this recipe.
- (You can use a green, red, or yellow pepper or all of
- them for this recipe just for a bit of color).
- Place the chicken into a hot pan with oil.
- Make sure that the pan is nice and hot.
- Turn the chicken pieces around and make sure both sides
of the chicken get brown.
- Note: The chicken shouldn’t stay too long into this pan. It
should be at least 5 to 10 minutes just until that golden brown color.
- Bring down and leave to cool.
- Add the diced onions to a hot pan.
- Let the onion simmer for about a minute
- Don’t let them cook too much to retain its crunchiness.
- Then, add your green pepper, tomato, and fresh red chili.
You can use any chili with this recipe.
- Make sure you mix everything together.
- Add the grated carrots to the onion mix and stir everything
- Make sure this mixture is not too fatty.
- Let the carrots simmer and then add your baked beans to
the carrot mix and a quarter of a teaspoon of tomato paste.
- Mix everything together. Add a little bit of chugga-lugga
spice and some curry powder and water and mitt itself.
- Place the chicken in an oven tray and add the mix on top
of the chicken. Make sure you’ve got all of it for that amazing taste.
- Place the chicken in a preheated oven of 180 degrees for
20 to 25 minutes
- Place in a plate and add parsley or coriander to garnish
Chakalaka is a simple South Africa vegetable dish. It can be served with bread, meat and more.
More easy recipes:
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time40 min
- Serving Size4
- Energy215 cal
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 large onion
- ½ tablespoon of paprika
- 3 carrots
- 1 can baked beans
- 3 bell pepper. (Green, red, and yellow color)
- Tomatoes sauce
- 3 tablespoon of curry powder
- Chili pepper
- 3 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
Add olive oil to a hot pot
Once the oil is heated, add the diced onions and fry until it is translucent. Cook on medium to high heat.
Add diced tomatoes and hot pepper
Stir well and boil for 2 minutes
Add the tomato paste, curry powder, paprika, and chili pepper and stir well.
Add salt to taste.
Cook on low heat for 5 minutes
Add the grated carrots and baked beans. Stir well until they are all mixed together
Cook for another five minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Leave for a minute.
The food is ready. Serve warm.
Read more African Easy Recipes