A Spinach and Cheese Strata, as the name indicates, is a layered dish, in this case composed of French bread, spinach, and two kinds of cheeses. The layers are then covered in a delicious custard that absorbs into the bread overnight, then baked until puffed and golden brown. This is an impressive brunch dish that can be made in advance, making it a perfect and easy choice. Make sure you allow enough time (at least 8 hours) for the strata to rest in the fridge, and bring to room temperature before baking.
Spinach and Cheese Strata Recipes
Spinach and Cheese Strata
- 1 10- oz spinach package frozen, thawed
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg freshly
- 8 cups French bread in 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese coarsely grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Press thawed spinach into a fine mesh sieve, to remove excess liquid, then finely chop the spinach leaves.
- In a large pan, saute the onion in butter over medium heat, until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add spinach, then remove from heat.
- Spread one third of bread cubes in a buttered 3-quart shallow ceramic dish and top evenly with one third of spinach mixture. Sprinkle with one third of each cheese. Repeat layering twice (ending with cheeses).
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, mustard, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and pour evenly over strata.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 8 hours (for bread to absorb custard).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Let strata stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Bake strata, uncovered, until puffed and golden brown, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Other ways to making Spinach and Cheese Strata
To prepare the strata, lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish. Next, lay half of the bread slices on the bottom, buttered side up. Sprinkle with half of the spinach mixture and the Gruyere. Top with the remaining slices of bread. Add the remaining shredded cheese. Pour the remaining egg mixture on top. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Before cooking, turn the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
To make a Spinach and Cheese Strata, start by heating the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter the baking dish. Then, place half of the bread slices on the bottom. On top, sprinkle the shredded cheese. Repeat with the remaining bread slices. Finally, pour the egg mixture on top of the remaining bread and sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on top. Then, place the strata in the oven.
To prepare the strata, start by preparing the bread. You can use whole wheat or whole grain bread. Both types of bread will make the dish delicious. When the spinach and cheese mixture is ready, the bread should be buttered. To make the strata, add the remaining cheese slices. You may want to serve it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Just a slice of the cheese on top will do the trick.
Before baking, you should prepare the ingredients. To make the strata, first, prepare the bread. In a small bowl, spread the cheese and spinach mixture over the toast. In a large pan, spread the remaining shredded cheese over the top. On top of the bread, sprinkle the remaining cheese and Gruyere and then sprinkle the remaining bread. Afterwards, you can bake the strata for about 50-55 minutes.
After preparing the bread, add the spinach mixture and the cheese. Put the remaining bread slices on top. Then, top the remaining slices with the cheese. Then, repeat the process with the remaining bread. After you have made the first layer, sprinkle the remaining cheese and spinach with shredded cheddar. Afterwards, whisk the eggs. Then, pour over the bread and cover with plastic wrap. After 24 hours, bake the strata until the eggs are set and the bread is crisp. Then, sprinkle feta on top of the strata.
Would you like to collect the handfuls of precise recipes? Click the follow button right now! And you may have them at no cost. Foodandmeal gives you culinary and cultural journeys around the world that you couldn’t find anywhere. Feel free to accompany us so that all the cooking secrets and techniques are in your hands.