If you feel eating a luxurious dish, the lobster and shrimp mac ‘n cheese will suit you just fine. You don’t have to pay exorbitant prices from a seafood restaurant, mind you. All you have to bear is a little bit of patience and a joyful heart while preparing this dish.
- Read more Casseroles recipe
Ingredients of Lobster and Shrimp Mac ‘n Cheese
- 1 lb. of cooked lobster meat, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- ½ lb. of cooked shrimp, chopped in half
- ½ cup of Italian breadcrumbs
- ¾ pound of any spiral pasta (like rotini or fusilli)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk (2% only)
- 4 tbsp. of unsalted butter, divided
- 6 oz. of Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Killaree cheddar (or any white cheddar), grated
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
Directions to make Lobster and Shrimp Mac ‘n Cheese
- Bring water to a boil into a large pot and cook the pasta according to the directions indicated on the package. Drain the pasta, set it aside and let it cool down.
- Preheat your oven into 375°F and while on it, heat (not boil) the milk in a sauce pan.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp. of butter and add the ¼ cup flour. Cook the flour mixture over low heat for about 2 minutes while continuously whisking it.
- While still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for another 1-2 minutes until you achieve a thick and smooth consistency.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheddar, Gruyere, salt and pepper.
- Next, add the already-cooked pasta, shrimp and lobster meat. Mix well in order to coat everything with the cheese mixture.
- Put the entire mixture into a casserole dish (large pie dish will also do).
- You also have to melt the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter with the half cup breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs on top of the mac ‘n cheese before baking it for about 30-35minutes until the mixture is all bubbly. The breadcrumbs on top should have browned, too.
- Let your lobster and shrimp mac ‘n cheese cool a bit before serving.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 15 minutes
- Cooking : 45 minutes
- Serving : makes 4