Poblano potato gratin is a Mexican version for the classic potato gratin. The sweetness of corn and Mexican crema plus the spiciness of poblano peppers brings a very much welcomed twist in this recipe.
Poblano potato gratin Recipe
Poblano Potato Gratin
- Gratin Potatoes with Cheese and Poblano
- Prepare the gold potatoes by peeling and cutting them into 1/8- inch thick rounds.
- Prepare the poblano peppers by charring (for about half an hour using your gas stove), stemming and seeding them. After that, cut the poblanos into 2-inch wide and half-inch thick strips.
- Preheat oven for up to 400°F and prepare a 9×13 inch casserole dish (or glass dish) by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Combine the poblano pepper and corn in a medium-sized bowl.
- Get a small bowl and whisk the Mexican creama and the half-and-half together.
- Line the potato rounds in the bottom the casserole dish, arranging them by overlapping them slightly.
- Sprinkle half of the poblano-corn mixture on the top of the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle at least 1/3 of the shredded cheese on top of the mixture.
- Repeat steps 6 to 8 until you’re finished with the potatoes, poblano-corn mixture and cheese.
- Pour the cream mixture atop of the cheese, making sure you cover it all.
- Tightly cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for about half an hour.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil from the dish and bake the gratin again for another 30 minutes. Make sure that the potatoes are tender and that the cheese attains the golden brown hue.
- Set aside the dish for about 10 minutes and let it cool off a bit before serving.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Tips for making Poblano potato gratin
To prepare this dish, you will need a 9×13 baking dish. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and place the potato rounds. Sprinkle about half of the corn mixture on top of the potatoes. Then, top the potatoes with the rest of the shredded cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are cooked through. Remove the aluminum foil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
To prepare poblano potato gratin, first cut the potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Drain bacon and then sprinkle over half of the potato mixture. Repeat this step with the remaining potatoes. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Once the gratin is done, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. If using cheese, you can leave it out or add a bit more to make it cheesier.
To prepare poblano chiles, slice them into thin strips. Roasted chiles are best when adding a kick to a creamy dish, such as a potato gratin. To roast a poblano, peel it and set aside. Then, place the sliced potatoes in the oven and cook for 90 minutes. Meanwhile, put the potatoes under the broiler.
Peel and chop the poblano peppers. Once cooled, wrap them in foil and place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Roast the peppers for 4 minutes until they’re blackened. Then, add the garlic and marjoram. Toss the vegetables into the pot. Then, add 3 cups of Monterey Jack cheese and cook until it is coarsely grated.
The poblanos are cooked in olive oil and garlic. Once cooked, add the rest of the ingredients, like the cheese and the sweet corn. Incorporate a few tablespoons of butter. Then, add the remaining ingredients, such as the sweet corn and mozzarella. If you want a cheesy gratin, you can even mix the roasted poblano peppers with a little cream.
To make this dish, you will first roast the poblano peppers under a broiler for 15 minutes. You will need to dice them and thinly slice them. If you are using canned corn, it will be best to chop them up. Once the potatoes are cooked, you can top them with the corn and cheese. It will be a delicious and healthy meal! It’s also a great side dish for a family dinner or for a lunch box.
You can also prepare this dish by roasting the poblanos. For this, you can also add the corn and onion. You can also sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the potatoes. Then, you should add the remaining cheese and poblano strips to the potato rounds. You can then serve the prepared meal with the rest of the cheese. You can serve the Poblano Potato Gratin at your next dinner party.
How to storage
You can also make this dish the day before to save time. Just make sure to use fresh ingredients and make sure your gratin is not overdone. It will be ready for dinner before you know it! When preparing a gratin, use lots of sour cream. It should have the consistency of thin gravy. During this stage, add corn and rice. You will want to sprinkle cheese over the poblano strips.
You can make this gratin ahead of time. However, keep in mind that the time for baking will increase if you make the dish in advance. To make the sauce richer, add another 1/4 cup of cream. To make it gluten-free, you can use smoked mozzarella. If you’re cooking for a dinner party, this dish will definitely impress your guests. If you’re serving it for the first time, try this recipe for a tasty side dish.
Thanks for your visiting our FoodAndMeal.Com website. Like and share this recipe if it is beneficial for you.