These Beef And Lamb Meatballs are full of Mediterranean flavors and ingredients. Lemon juice gives them zest, cumin and garlic some heat, and the herbs and capers add a wonderful aroma and brininess to each bite. When cooking, keep in mind that the meatballs will absorb a lot of the juices once they cool, so you want to have enough liquid left in the pan. The sauce is definitely the best part of this dish. Serve these meatballs with a fattoush salad and brown rice or lentils.
Beef and Lamp Meatballs Recipes
Beef And Lamb Meatballs with Lemon and Herbs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 onion minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons each Italian parsley fresh mint and cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons capers chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 8 thyme sprigs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon each of flat leaf parsley cilantro and mint
- Gently mix the meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Shape into balls and set aside. In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Sear the first half of the meatballs on all sides about 5 minutes. Remove these from the pan, add 1 more tablespoon olive oil and repeat with the second batch of meatballs. When done, set all of the meatballs aside and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Saute the sliced garlic and thyme for 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, 3 cups of chicken stock, and return the meatballs to the pan. Cover with a lid, and simmer for approximately 25 minutes. At this point, taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings. Since chicken stocks vary in salt content, it is better to taste before adding salt to your sauce to avoid over salting. If there is still too much liquid in the pan, remove the lid to allow the sauce to reduce. Keep in mind that the meatballs will absorb a lot of the juices once they stop cooking, so you want to have enough liquid left in the pan. The sauce is the best part of this dish!
- Before serving, top with more parsley, cilantro and mint, a well as a good squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Tips and Tricks
To prepare Beef and Lamp Meatballs, start by browning the meatballs. Put them in a baking dish, cover them with aluminum foil, and cook them for about five to seven minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. To make the sauce, mix six large tomatoes and tomato puree in a blender and add sugar to reduce acidity. If using fresh tomatoes, add one medium carrot to reduce the acidity of the sauce. Once the mixture has come together, heat a pan on medium heat. Place the cooked meatballs in the pan, and let them sit for a few minutes.
Once the meatballs are done, freeze them in airtight containers. They can be refrigerated for up to a month. Thaw them overnight in the fridge. Before cooking them, bring them to room temperature. It’s best to make the meatballs the day before, so they can be cooked at a later time. If the meatballs are not cooled before baking, they can be reheated the next day.
The meatballs are ready to be cooked. Ensure they are cooked throughly, otherwise they may become dry and crumbly. Then, transfer them to a large baking dish and bake them. They’ll be done in about an hour. You’ll be surprised at how quickly they’ll disappear. Once they’re done, just transfer them to a plate to store in the refrigerator. If you’re planning to freeze them, make sure they’re a single layer so they don’t stick together.
Meatballs can be made ahead of time. It’s best to cook them in batches, so you can cook them in the desired amount of time. Once you’ve finished making them, you can serve them as needed. They’ll last for several days in the refrigerator. For best results, use a mixture of ground beef and lamb. Be sure to use a good quality meat. If you’re using ground lamb, you’ll want to season it with a little bit of salt.
When making Beef and Lamp Meatballs, you need to keep in mind that they are not overworked. Instead, they should be browned on all sides. Then, they should be put into a hot skillet or oven. Then, you’ll need about three tablespoons of olive oil. When you’re ready to serve, you’ll enjoy the flavor of the sauce and the aroma of the spices.
Once you’ve made the meatballs, place them in a large pot and cook them. Then, cook them in batches, and add them to the sauce. During the final cooking phase, it’s best to use olive oil, but if you’re unsure, you can also heat the oil in a large saucepan. You can even freeze them for up to 3 months. The meatballs will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
Food and Meal site is a website you should not miss if you love to cook. Leave a kind comment below to let us know you’re passionate about cooking! And share this post to let your friends know how you are passionate about cuisine.