The best thing about this Meatballs with Lemon and Dijon Sauce recipe? No frying is involved whatsoever. If you are really short on time , you could even avoid chopping and replace the minced onion with 1 teaspoon onion powder. A great dinner in minutes. The lemon and Dijon add so much flavor to the sauce, which goes perfectly with white rice. Use leftover meatballs to make a meatball sandwiches.
Meatballs with Lemon and Dijon Sauce Recipes
Meatballs with Lemon and Dijon Sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, turmeric, salt and pepper. Add the eggs, parsley and minced onion, and mix. Add the ground beef and veal and blend all of the ingredients till well incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Roll meatballs, wetting you hands with a bit of water if necessary.
- In a large pan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the meatballs to the pan carefully and when boiling once again, reduce heat to medium.
- Incorporate the Dijon mustard and the juice of half a lemon in the pan. Stir to combine.
- Boil for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and most of the water has evaporated. Add the peas in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Before serving, you can squeeze more lemon juice to taste onto the meatballs, garnish with fresh parsley, pepper, and serve.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Method: Making Lemon and Dijon Meatballs in an Air Fryer
- 1 pound ground meat (beef, pork, or a mix)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- For the Lemon-Dijon Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the Meatball Mixture:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, milk, egg, minced garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Shape the Meatballs:
- Form the mixture into meatballs, roughly the size of golf balls. Ensure they’re evenly sized for consistent cooking.
- Preheat the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Air Fry the Meatballs:
- Lightly coat the air fryer basket with cooking spray or use air fryer parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Arrange the meatballs in a single layer in the basket, leaving some space between each.
- Cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, shaking the basket or turning the meatballs halfway through to ensure even browning.
- Prepare the Lemon-Dijon Sauce:
- While the meatballs are cooking, combine the Dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, chicken broth, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan.
- Heat the sauce over low-medium heat, stirring continuously until it’s warmed through and well combined. Simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Once the meatballs are crispy and browned on the outside and cooked through on the inside, transfer them to a serving dish.
- Pour the warm Lemon-Dijon Sauce over the meatballs, ensuring they’re generously coated.
Tips for making Meatballs with Lemon and Dijon Sauce
- Sides and Garnishes:
- Lemon Herb Rice: Serve the meatballs over a bed of fluffy lemon herb rice. The citrusy rice pairs wonderfully with the lemon-Dijon sauce.
- Garlic Sauteed Greens: Sautéed spinach or kale with a hint of garlic makes for a vibrant and nutritious side dish.
- Crusty Bread: Crusty baguette slices are perfect for soaking up the flavorful sauce.
- Different Serving Styles:
- Meatball Subs: Transform your meatballs into scrumptious sandwiches by placing them in a baguette or hoagie roll, drizzling the sauce, and adding some fresh greens.
- Meatball Bowl: Create a wholesome bowl by pairing the meatballs with a mix of quinoa, roasted vegetables, and a dollop of the Lemon-Dijon Sauce.
- Appetizer Platter: Serve these meatballs as an appetizer at your next gathering. Skewer them with toothpicks, drizzle with sauce, and watch them disappear.
- Beverage Pairings:
- White Wine: A crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay complements the zesty flavors of the dish.
- Lemonade: For a non-alcoholic option, a glass of freshly squeezed lemonade adds a refreshing touch.
- Sparkling Water: The effervescence of sparkling water can cleanse the palate between bites, enhancing the overall dining experience.
- Fresh Herbs: Sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley or cilantro over the meatballs for a burst of color and freshness.
- Lemon Wedges: Serve with lemon wedges on the side for those who want an extra citrusy kick.
- Grated Parmesan: A sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese adds a layer of richness to the dish.
- Chill the Mixture: Before shaping the meatballs, refrigerate the mixture for 20-30 minutes. This helps firm up the mixture, making it easier to shape and prevents the meatballs from falling apart during cooking.
- Use an Ice Cream Scoop: For uniformly sized meatballs, consider using an ice cream scoop. It not only ensures consistent sizes but also speeds up the shaping process.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Just like with an oven, preheating your air fryer is crucial. It helps the meatballs cook evenly and ensures that they develop a lovely crispy exterior.
- Spray or Brush with Oil: Lightly spray or brush the meatballs with oil before placing them in the air fryer. This step enhances browning and crispiness.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Basket: Arrange the meatballs in a single layer with some space between them. Overcrowding can result in uneven cooking and less crispy meatballs.
- Check for Doneness: To ensure the meatballs are thoroughly cooked, use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 160°F (71°C) for beef or pork and 165°F (74°C) for poultry.
- Sauce Timing: Drizzle the Lemon-Dijon Sauce over the meatballs just before serving. This keeps the meatballs crisp while allowing the sauce to infuse with the meat’s juices.
FAQs of Meatballs with Lemon and Dijon Sauce
- Can I make these meatballs ahead of time? Absolutely! You can prepare the meatball mixture and shape them in advance. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- How should I store leftovers? To store leftover meatballs, place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When reheating, ensure they are heated thoroughly.
- Can I use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef? Yes, you can use ground chicken or turkey for a leaner option. Just keep in mind that they may require slightly less cooking time in the air fryer.
- What if I don’t have an air fryer?If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still follow the same recipe and cook the meatballs in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for approximately 20-25 minutes, turning them halfway through.
- Can I adjust the level of spiciness in the Dijon sauce?Certainly! You can control the spiciness by adding more or less Dijon mustard. Adjust it to your taste preference, but don’t forget the tangy lemon balance.
Cook up a storm with our Lemon and Dijon Meatballs – a recipe made for food lovers. Share it with friends and subscribe for more culinary delights!
I'm Tracy F Hilton, a devoted culinary professional shaped by a mix of natural aptitude and refined skills from a top culinary school. In the dynamic kitchen environment, I'm a catalyst for seamless operations and timely, high-quality dish preparation. My culinary creations are a blend of art and skill, offering visually and gustatorily delightful experiences. A learner at heart, I'm continuously honing my craft, embracing new techniques, and culinary innovations. My positive, collaborative nature is amplified in fast-paced settings, showcasing my commitment to team efficiency and guest satisfaction. Each dish I present is a meticulous blend of tradition and innovation, promising an unforgettable dining experience that marries taste, aroma, and aesthetic appeal in perfect harmony. Join me on a gastronomic journey where each bite encapsulates a rich, evolving narrative of flavors and culinary artistry.