how to cook chicken briyani
- ½ KG of Chicken
- 1 cup of yogurt
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon of red chili pepper
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- Ginger garlic paste (you can get this by crushing or grating ginger and garlic together. Then, mix with water)
- Chopped green chili
- I large onion (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- Chopped 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander
- 1 cup fried onion
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 ½ liters of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Cloves 4–5
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 leaf of star anis
- 2 leaves of green cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 500g of rice
- 5–6 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
1. Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes
2. Put the chicken in a big bowl.
3. Add the yogurt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, coriander powder, ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chili, sliced onion, chopped mint leaves, chopped fresh coriander, and fried onions to the chicken. Mix them all together properly.
4. Pour the lemon juice to the chicken and mix thoroughly. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
5. Pour water into a pot. Then, add the cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns, star anise, green cardamom, bay leaves, salt, and vinegar to the water.
6. Bring it to boil.
7. Add the soaked rice to the water and stir.
8. Boil until it is ¾ done. i.e 8-10 minutes. (It should be able to break when pressed firmly with fingers. Leave slightly undercooked).
9. Strain through a sieve and set aside.
10. Add cooking oil to a pot and let it heat up. Add the cumin seeds to it and stir.
11. Pour the marinated chicken to the oil and mix well for 2-5 minutes. Cover the pot and cook on low flame for 10-12 minutes. Then cook on high flame until the oil separates from the chicken.
12. Remove some chicken from the pot for layering.
13. Add some of the boiled rice to the remaining chicken in the pot. Then, pour the reserved korma on top of the rice.
14. Add fresh coriander, mint leaves, and fried onions to it. Pour the remaining rice into the pot.
15. Mix ½ tablespoon of yellow food and 2-3 tablespoons of water together and pour on top of the rice.
16. Cover the pot and steam cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
17. Turn fairly well and bring the pot down.
18. Serve hot.
- Cuisine: Indian, South African,
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 617
- Sugar: 19 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 83 g
- Protein: 49 g