There are two major presentations for this curry recipe. One is red gravy which makes use of the onion-tomato tandem as base. The other one is plain white which obviously uses NO tomato to keep off the red, but only makes the onion as base. In this recipe, we are going to talk about the latter which actually explains our title.
Shahi paneer in white gravy
The gravy has cashew, heavy cream (or malai) and yogurt as key ingredients. Expect creamy, aromatic and extremely flavorful dish that will surely make you crave for more.
For the cashew paste:
- 2 tbsp. of cashew nuts
- ¼ cup of water – ¼ cup
For the onion Paste:
- 1 medium size (1 cup) onion, roughly chopped
- ½ cup of water
For the saffron-cream mixture:
- 2 tbsp. of heavy whipping cream
- Few strands of saffron
- 6 oz. (or 175g) of paneer, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt (make sure that it is not sour)
- 1 tsp. of ginger paste
- 1 tsp. of garlic paste
- 2 cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 2 slits of green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ inch piece of cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp. of garam masala
- 1 tbsp. of oil
- ¼ tsp. of cardamom powder
- Soak the cashew nuts into ¼ cup of water for about 15-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, get your blender or grinder and make a paste out of the soaked cashew.
- Get half a cup of water and boil the chopped onions into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes or at least until the onions have softened and let the mixture cool down.
- For the meantime, warm up cream in the microwave and dissolve a few strands in it.
- After the onions have cooled down, make a smooth paste out of them.
- Heat oil in a pan over a medium heat and once hot, add the cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and bay leaf.
- Fry them within 30-45 seconds until you smell the nice aroma they give off.
- Add the green chilies, garlic & ginger pastes and fry for a few more seconds.
- Add the onion paste and salt, and then cook until the moisture evaporates. You can also see the mixture leave the sides of the pan.
- Add the cashew paste and stir well before adding the yogurt. You can add a little water to help you achieve the gravy consistency and bring it into a simmer.
- Mix in the garam masala and cardamom powder.
- Add in the paneer pieces and stir the mixture gently.
- Lastly, mix in the cream-saffron mixture and let it simmer for about 2 minutes before turning off the stove.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 20 minutes
- Cooking : 20 minutes
- Serving : makes 2
Incoming search terms:
- Recipe white shahi paneer