Puran Poli comes from Marathi words Puran meaning ‘stuffing’, and Poli meaning ‘outer covering’. This is a known Indian bread that is stuffed with sweet lentil filling. There are two popular ways of preparing Puran Poli, namely the Maharashtrian and Gurajati way. Even though these two ways look similar, the difference can be seen when it comes to making the stuffing and the way it is served.
Ingredients for Stuffing (Puran)
- ¾ cup Toovar dal or Chana dal
- 2 ½ cups Water
- ¾ cup Jaggery or Sugar
- 1 pinch Cardamom Powder
- A few strands of Saffron
Ingredients for Outer Covering (Poli)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour or Chapatti Atta
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- Ghee or clarified butter for frying and drizzling
- Make the stuffing by washing the dal under running water until the water runs clear. Soak in warm water for at least 30-45 minutes.
- Drain dal and put it inside a pressure cooker with 2 ½ cups of water. After that, drain the dal water in a separate bowl by using a sieve. Lightly press the dal so it will get mashed a bit while making the amati thick at the same time. Put the mashed dal in a pan along with jaggery, stirring until it thickens. Add cardamom powder and saffron, mix and let it cool by setting it aside.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the dough by mixing atta, salt and a little oil. Knead it by adding a little water at a time until it gets soft before covering it and letting it rest for 15 minutes.
- After that, divide the dough into 6 equal portions and make balls out of it. Do the same with Puran.
- Using your hand, flatten a dough ball, put a ball of stuffing inside it before wrapping it up by the edges. Flatten it into 5-6-inch diameter poli.
- Cook the poli by putting it in a tawa or skillet under medium heat. Flip and cook the other side if you see some bubbles forming on the top of poli. Smear some ghee so it will have brown spots when cooked.
- When both sides are cooked, add some ghee on top then serve.
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 219
- Sodium: 118 mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Maharashtrian puran poli, Maharashtrian puran poli recipe,