Biryani Rice (or biryani chawal) isa native of North India and is a mildly flavored rice dish with the aroma that could send your tummy craving and begging for it. It is best served with rich or spicy curry as viand. After cooking, you can store biryani rice in an airtight container and refrigerate. Shelf life can be up to four or five days.
How to Prepare Biryani Rice
- 1 cup of basmati rice or long grain rice
- 2 cups of water
- 4 green cardamom
- 1-inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 4–5 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. of cumin seeds
- ½ cup of onion, finely chopped
- 2 slits of green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. of ghee or oil
- 5–6 cashew nuts, cut into half
- 2 tsp. of oil
- 3–4 almonds, sliced
- ½ cup of onion
- Wash the long grain rice under running water and soak into warm water for about 20 minutes.
- Drain the water using colander and let the rice dry out for 15 minutes.
- Put pan over a medium flame and pour oil or ghee into it. When the oil is hot enough, put whole spices and fry them until you can smell their aroma.
- Add the cumin seeds with the spices and let them sizzle.
- Proceed into adding the onions, chillies and season with salt. Fry the onions until they get the translucent coloring.
- Add the rice and sauté the mixture for about 1-2 minutes, and then add water. Let the rice come into a boil.
- When the rice boils, cover pan with lid and lower the heat to the lowest possible flame your stove can come up with.
- Cook the rice for the next 18 minutes without uncovering the pan.
- After 18 minutes, turn off the heat but do not open yet the lit. Keep it like this for another 10 minutes for this enables the rice grains to gain firmness.
- While you are letting the rice rest, heat the pan and add 2 tsp. of oil. Fry the almonds and cashews until they have the light brown coloring. Remove them from the pan and transfer into a bowl.
- Next, fry the onions till they attain are browned and season with salt.
- Open the lid of the pan with rice and ruffle the rice.
- You can transfer the rice in a dish or any container before garnishing it with the nuts and fried onions.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 145.5
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 106.1 mg
- Fat: 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Trans Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.7 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Keywords: Biryani Rice, Biryani Chawal,