This easy-to-make Vegan tofu casserole is a great option when you are looking for a satisfying meal. Prepared with a few ingredients and no fuss, tofu is coated in a delicious, creamy sauce.
If you are serving to a large group of people, the tofu can be prepared ahead of time. This is a great meal for parties and other special occasions.
Vegan Tofu Casserole Recipe
Tofu Casserole by Air Fryer
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest grated
- 14 ounces tofu cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 10 ounces spinach torn
- K cup yellow onion chopped
- K teaspoon basil dried
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- Salt and black pepper to the taste
- teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cooking spray
- Spray your air fryer with some cooking spray, arrange tofu cubes on the bottom, add lemon zest, lemon juice, yeast, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, spinach, onion, basil, mushrooms, salt, pepper and pepper flakes, toss, cover and cook at 365° f for 20 minutes.
- Divide between plates and serve for breakfast.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
- 1 batch of Vegan Tofu Casserole mixture (prepared as per the original recipe)
- 1 cup of vegan cheese (your choice of flavor)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and ensure you have an oven-safe casserole dish on hand.
- Prepare the Vegan Tofu Casserole mixture as per the original recipe, following the steps to press the tofu and sauté the veggies.
- Once the mixture is ready, transfer it to the oven-safe casserole dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Sprinkle your choice of vegan cheese over the casserole mixture. This will give your casserole a delightful cheesy crust as it bakes.
- Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is heated through.
- Keep a close eye on it to avoid over-browning. You want the cheese to be nicely melted and bubbling.
- Once baked to perfection, remove the casserole from the oven. Let it cool for a few minutes, garnish with fresh basil leaves, and then serve.
Tips for making Vegan Tofu Casserole
- Pressing Tofu Perfection: Tofu is the star here, and to make it shine, pressing is crucial. Use a tofu press or wrap the tofu in paper towels, place a heavy object on top, and let it drain for at least 30 minutes. The drier the tofu, the better it absorbs flavors.
- Saute Savvy: When sautéing your vegetables, start with those that take longer to cook, like bell peppers and carrots, before adding quicker-cooking veggies like zucchini or spinach. This ensures even cooking and a harmonious blend of textures.
- Layering Love: As you assemble the casserole, layering is key. Begin with a thin layer of tomato sauce at the bottom to prevent sticking and enhance flavor. Then alternate between the tofu mixture, noodles, and sauce, finishing with a generous topping of vegan cheese.
- Herb Harmony: Fresh herbs like basil or parsley can take your casserole to the next level. Sprinkle some over each layer for an infusion of fresh flavors. Remember, cooking is an art, and herbs are your palette!
- The Golden Bake: If you opt for the oven method, don’t forget to preheat it. This ensures even cooking and a nicely browned top. Keep a watchful eye as it bakes, so you achieve that perfect golden crust.
- Sides That Shine: A simple green salad with a zesty vinaigrette or some roasted vegetables make excellent sidekicks. Their freshness and crunch complement the casserole’s creaminess.
- Garnish Galore: Fresh basil leaves, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, or a dash of red pepper flakes can add visual appeal and extra flavor. Get creative with your garnishes; they’re like the finishing touch on a work of art.
- Beverage Bliss: Pair your casserole with a light and refreshing beverage, like a sparkling lemonade or a crisp white wine. The acidity cuts through the richness, leaving your palate refreshed.
- Bread and Beyond: Garlic bread is always a winner, but consider some crusty whole-grain bread or even a savory pastry for a unique twist. These choices add another layer of texture and taste.
- Salad Supremacy: If you want to go lighter, serve the casserole with a simple mixed greens salad. Drizzle it with a lemony dressing to balance the flavors beautifully.
FAQs about Tofu Casserole
- Can I Make This Casserole in Advance? Absolutely! Prepare the casserole up to a day in advance, cover it tightly, and refrigerate. Bake it when you’re ready to serve.
- Can I Substitute Tofu for Something Else? While tofu is the star of this dish, you can experiment with tempeh or seitan for a different twist. The flavors will vary, but it can be equally delightful.
- How Do I Reheat Leftovers? To reheat, place the leftovers in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 20 minutes, or microwave individual servings until heated through.
- Can I Freeze the Casserole for Future Meals? Yes, you can freeze it! Ensure it’s in an airtight container, and it should be good for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- What If I’m Not Vegan? Can I Use Regular Cheese? Of course! If you’re not following a vegan diet, feel free to use your favorite dairy cheese. The casserole is versatile and can accommodate your preferences.
Experience plant-based perfection with our Vegan Tofu Casserole. Elevate your vegan dining game with layers of flavor. Get the recipe and subscribe for more culinary delights.
I'm James F Anderson, a noted sous chef from London and a Le Cordon Bleu alumnus. My career began in a Michelin-starred Parisian eatery, where my blend of classic and contemporary cooking, using seasonal ingredients, earned accolades. Recognized in culinary publications and on cooking shows, I’m committed to mentoring aspiring chefs and delivering memorable dining experiences, marking me as a standout talent in the culinary world.