Mashed Yams dish is loved in many subjects, from children to elderly or even senior vegetarian because of its fragrant and soft. The processing stage is extremely simple and quick with the staple ingredient being yams. Yams are a root vegetable that contains many vitamins, minerals as well as antioxidants. Therefore, it becomes a healthy food that you should add to your daily diet. They are often confused with sweet potatoes. However, yams are less sweet and more starchy. Yams, when cooked and pureed, become a creamy and very tasty dish; they are often eaten with certain meats or with other dishes.
Mashed Yams Recipe with Salt and Pepper
Mashed Yams with Salt and Pepper
- 1 lb true yam Not sweet potatoes
- 4 cups of water
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon flake red pepper
- Peel and cut the yam into chunks and wash.
- Put the water in a pot, add the yam to it, and boil for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- The yam should be soft by now. Remove the yam from the pot and discard the water.
- Using a food processor or mortar, add the seasonings, and process or pound the yam until it is soft and becomes a glutinous paste.
- Serve with any meat dish.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Read more: Cauliflower Quiche with Goat Cheese – Vegetarian Recipes
Cheese Mashed Yams
- 11 oz (330g) yams
- 1/4 cup (50mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15mL) Salted Butter
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) thyme
- 1 cup (250mL) Old Cheddar, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and cut sweet potato into pieces. Boil in the same way as regular potatoes.
- Once cooked, strain and mash potatoes with milk and butter. Season and add half of the cheese.
- Transfer to greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil until cheese is golden brown.
Yogurt Mashed Yams
- 1.5 kg Yams
- 42 gr Greek yogurt
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves (crushed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt/pepper
- Prep and steam yams
Peel yams, soak yams in water mixed with 1 teaspoon of salt for about 5 minutes, then remove the yams, drain the water, then cut them into bite-sized pieces. Put in the steamer basket for 20-25 minutes until the yams are soft.
- Fry onions
Put a pan on the stove, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and wait for it to be hot, add the whole diced onion, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the pan, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. When the onion turns yellow and smells, turn off the heat.
- Mash yams
After yams are cooked, put them in a bowl, then use a fork to mash the yams.
- Mix yams
Place the fried onion, 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary leaves, 42 grams of Greek yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Then, use a fork to mix the ingredients well. Season to taste and you’re done.
In short, we know three different ways to cook mashed yams that are yummy, fast, less greasy, and healthy. Moreover, from these three simple mashed yams recipes, you can create a lot of novel versions of mashed yams as well.
Thanks for your visiting our blog. Like and share this recipe if it is beneficial for you.