Squash peanut soup can be made in a variety of ways. The basic soup recipe calls for adding two cups of broth and one pound of chopped pumpkin. Squash and pumpkin can both be used in the soup. Squash and pumpkin are great together and make a delicious, creamy dish. You can also use other vegetables, such as zucchini or kabocha squash. Roasted squash is a healthy choice for winter months and can be made in a single pot.
Squash peanut soup recipe
Read more West African Recipes
Squash Peanut Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs squash peel and cube
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups roasted peanuts crush into a paste
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sugar
- Pour enough water into a pot. Allow it to boil.
- Add the squash to it and cook until it’s soft but unbroken. Remove the squash from the pot and discard the water.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and let it heat up.
- Add the squash and simmer for five minutes. Stir so often that the squash can break up.
- Add the peanuts, sugar, and salt, and stir thoroughly.
- Cook for 5 minutes on very low heat.
- Serve hot!
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
You might also like: How to Make Pomegranate and Roasted Butternut Squash Crostini
Another reference recipe: Squash peanut soup with coconut milk and quinoa
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Can (14oz) Coconut Milk
- 1 Can (14oz) Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cups Butternut Squash, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/2 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bunch Spinach, washed and shredded
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons Fresh Ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 handful Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Quinoa (dry), cooked according to package
- 1/4 cup Peanuts, roughly chopped
How to make squash peanut soup with coconut milk and quinoa
- In a heavy soup pot (my favorite is enameled cast iron), sautee the onion, red bell pepper, and squash over medium heat until slightly golden, about 5-10 minutes. Add the fresh ginger, garlic, jalapeno, turmeric, coriander, and cinnamon, sautee for about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, canned tomatoes, and about 1 Cup of water (or broth). Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer (covered) just until the squash is tender. To test it, simply stab a piece of squash with a fork, if it seems nice and soft, then it’s ready, if it’s still firm, it needs to cook a little longer. Better yet, taste a small piece of butternut squash to make sure it’s at your preferred consistency. For me, it usually takes about 20 minutes, but it can vary depending on how large the squash pieces are.
- Once the squash is ready, add the garbanzo beans and peanut butter and simmer for a couple of minutes. Then add the fresh cilantro and spinach and simmer a couple of minutes longer (or until the spinach reaches desired consistency).
- Once it’s done, portion it into bowls and top with 1/3 cup cooked quinoa and 1 Tablespoon of crushed peanuts. And squash peanut soup is done!
You may love this recipe: South African Butternut Soup easy recipe
Not only is squash delicious and nutritious food but also contains a good amount of vitamins C, A, and E, which function as antioxidants and can prevent free radicals from damaging your eye cells. Besides, squash contains nutrients that can boost your immune system.
You can add squash peanut soup to your vegetarian diet, or even you can cook and enjoy it whenever you feel bored with meats and fish. The aromatic and cool taste of squash combined with the fragrant aroma of roasted peanuts will help you have a good meal. The cooking techniques are very simple, the ingredients are very easy-to-find, you can completely change or renew your daily menu.