Roasted chicken with rice stuffing is one signature dish within the countries of the South Mediterranean like Spain, France, Greece and Italy. The smoky tang of the roasted chicken and the warm, comfortable nourishment of rice is quite a perfect blend for this dish. Not only that, we’re talking the Mediterranean here so we are also bringing out the herbs and spices along
Roasted chicken Recipe
Roasted Chicken with Rice Stuffing
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 ½ cups of chicken broth with a little salt
- 1 large white or yellow onion chopped
- Celery chopped
- 1 ½ cups rice long-grain variety
- ½ cup dried figs and apricots chopped
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. pine nuts roasted
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Bring your oven into a 375⁰F heat.
- Put a pot over medium-low heat and pour into it 3 cups of liquid chicken broth, chopped onions and celery. Cover the broth and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Put the rice, thyme and apricots into the broth and cover again. Leave it be until all the liquid has seeped through the rice.
- Get your whole chicken and rub it with 1 tsp. of lemon juice(put the remaining 1 tsp. aside), pepper.
- Get the rice stuffing and shove it inside the chicken.
- After stuffing the chicken bring the back legs of the bird together and tie them with a decorative bow.
- Lay the chicken on a lightly greased rack in the roasting pan with its breast side exposed upwards.
- Roast the bird for about an hour (or 1 hr. and 15 mins.) but check on it from time to time.
- If you have extra stuffing, put it in a casserole and cook with the chicken for the last half hour of the roasting process.
- Remove both the chicken and stuffing casserole from the oven and let it cool down for 15 minutes.
- Pour the remaining 1tsp. of lemon juice over the chicken and drizzle some olive oil.
- Serve the stuffed roasted chicken with salad such as steamed broccoli rabe or any green salad.
- roasted chicken with salad
- If you opt to cook with the optional ingredients, be sure to sauté them first in oil before pouring the broth.
- Don’t stuff the bird’s cavity with too much rice as the air can’t circulate within and can reach the right temperature easily.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
- read more: Ethiopia Doro Wat (Chicken Stew)
Tips for making Roasted Chicken
Place the chicken in a baking tray and spread one tablespoon of butter on the tray. Insert the stuffed chicken into the cavity and tie the legs together. Put the skin of the chicken on top, and surround it with tomato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat these steps until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is done roasting, serve it with the rice stuffing. If you’re not sure whether you’ve prepared the rice ahead of time, you can always freeze it and reheat it later.
The chicken should be cooked until the internal temperature reaches 75 deg C.
Tips for making Rice Stuffing
To make the rice stuffing, prepare the vegetables by slicing onions and celery. Toss the vegetables with the rice and thyme. Pour the mixture into a small bowl and stir to combine. Place the chicken in the oven. Once the skin is golden, the chicken is ready. Then, remove the skin and serve it with the stuffing and side dish. The rice will be fluffy and delicious.
It can be cooked while the chicken is roasting. In a small saucepan, mix the rice with 200 ml water. Cover with tin foil and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes. The rice should be cooked through, but not to the point of becoming mushy. Once the roasting process begins, the rice will continue to cook inside the chicken.
Then, serve the chicken with the rice stuffing and a side dish of roasted potatoes.
Thanks for your visiting our Food and Meal site. Like and share this recipe if it is useful for you.