This coconut sorbet is based on a recipe by Jean Georges Vongerichten, in which he urges not to be discouraged by the simple ingredient list, the end result delivers big flavor. The coconut milk thickens to a wonderful creamy consistency and contrasts so nicely with the cherries.
The fruit is so delicious with the syrup, you can skip the sorbet and serve the cherries on their own with some lady fingers to soak up the syrup. You can add liqueur to the fruit, or our favorite, a bit of balsamic vinegar.The sweet and sour combination is heavenly.
Coconut Sorbet recipes
Coconut Sorbet with Cherries in Syrup
For the coconut sorbet
- Shake the cans of coconut milk very well to reblend the solid and liquid parts, and pour into a saucepan. Add the sugar and bring to a boil until all of the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the rum.
- Pour the coconut milk into a heatproof bowl and allow to cool. To speed up the process, you can place the bowl in a larger heatproof Pyrex-type dish and ice water to quickly bring the temperature down. You can then place the bowl in the refrigerator until it has chilled.
- Pour the coconut milk into an ice cream maker and churn according to directions. This sorbet churned for about 20 minutes until it achieved a creamy, thick texture.
- While the coconut milk is chilling, cut the cherries into halves.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer until light caramel in color. Remove from the heat and add flavourings, if using. In a heat proof bowl, pour the syrup over the cherries and allow to cool.
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Method: Coconut Sorbet – Blender Version
- 2 cans (800ml) full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional, for added texture)
- Chill Coconut Milk: Place the cans of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. The cold temperature will separate the thick coconut cream from the liquid.
- Prepare Sugar Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar with 1/2 cup of water. Heat over medium heat, stirring until the sugar completely dissolves. Remove from heat and allow the syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Blend Coconut Cream: Open the chilled coconut milk cans without shaking them. Scoop out the thick coconut cream that has risen to the top into a blender. Reserve the remaining liquid for other recipes.
- Add Sugar Syrup: Pour the room temperature sugar syrup into the blender with the coconut cream. Add the pure vanilla extract and, if desired, the unsweetened shredded coconut for added texture and flavor.
- Blend Smooth: Blend the mixture on high until it becomes smooth and creamy. If you added shredded coconut, it will create a slightly textured sorbet.
- Chill Mixture: Transfer the blended mixture into a shallow, airtight container. Cover it and place it in the freezer for about 4-6 hours or until it’s firm, stirring every hour to prevent ice crystals from forming.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once the Coconut Sorbet is properly frozen, scoop it into bowls or cones. Garnish with shredded coconut or fresh fruit if desired, and savor the tropical delight!
Tips for making Coconut Sorbet
- Tropical Fruit Medley: Enhance the coconut experience by serving your sorbet with a medley of fresh tropical fruits like pineapple, mango, and kiwi. The vibrant flavors will transport you straight to an island paradise.
- Toasted Coconut Shavings: Elevate the texture and flavor by garnishing your sorbet with lightly toasted coconut shavings. The nutty aroma and crunch provide a delightful contrast to the creamy sorbet.
- Drizzle of Passionfruit Syrup: For a burst of tangy sweetness, drizzle a homemade passionfruit syrup over your Coconut Sorbet. The tropical acidity pairs perfectly with the creamy base.
- Coconut Waffle Cones: Transform your sorbet into an irresistible ice cream cone by scooping it into coconut-infused waffle cones. It’s the ultimate tropical treat.
- Sorbet Floats: Take a refreshing twist by serving your Coconut Sorbet in a glass of sparkling water or coconut water. It’s a thirst-quenching, fizzy experience perfect for a hot day.
- Chilling Your Ingredients: Prior to churning, ensure that both your coconut milk and sweetened coconut cream are thoroughly chilled. Cold ingredients result in smoother sorbet.
- Sweetness Control: Taste your sorbet base before churning, and remember that freezing dulls sweetness. Your mixture should be slightly sweeter than desired to achieve the perfect sweetness when frozen.
- Proper Churning: When using an ice cream maker, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for churning times. Over-churning can lead to a grainy texture, so be mindful not to exceed the recommended time.
- Freezing Containers: Use a shallow, airtight container to freeze your sorbet. This allows for faster freezing and easier scooping when serving.
- Avoid Ice Crystals: To prevent the formation of ice crystals, press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the sorbet before sealing the container and placing it in the freezer.
FAQs about Coconut Sorbet
I'm Tracy F Hilton, a devoted culinary professional shaped by a mix of natural aptitude and refined skills from a top culinary school. In the dynamic kitchen environment, I'm a catalyst for seamless operations and timely, high-quality dish preparation. My culinary creations are a blend of art and skill, offering visually and gustatorily delightful experiences. A learner at heart, I'm continuously honing my craft, embracing new techniques, and culinary innovations. My positive, collaborative nature is amplified in fast-paced settings, showcasing my commitment to team efficiency and guest satisfaction. Each dish I present is a meticulous blend of tradition and innovation, promising an unforgettable dining experience that marries taste, aroma, and aesthetic appeal in perfect harmony. Join me on a gastronomic journey where each bite encapsulates a rich, evolving narrative of flavors and culinary artistry.