Welcome to a culinary journey that promises to tantalize your taste buds – the classic, the beloved, Egg Salad. From the kitchen of a seasoned chef, I’m thrilled to share this simple yet divine recipe with you. Whether you’re a longtime fan or a newbie to Egg Salad, you’re in for a treat. Get ready to embark on an adventure in flavor.
Egg Salad Recipe
- Put half a dozen eggs in a medium-sized saucepan and cover them with cool water. Make sure that the water reaches ½ – 1 inch above the eggs.
- Sprinkle the water with a dash of salt and cover saucepan with a lid.
- Bring the water into a boil over a medium or medium-high flame.
- Turn off your stove and let the eggs sit inside the saucepan for another 7 minutes. Do not take off the lid just yet.
- Take a bowl big enough to fit in the eggs and cover them again with ice water.
- Submerge the eggs into the cold water for another 3-5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs and put them into another medium-sized bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise or the Greek yoghurt for a healthier option. Alternatively, you can use 1 tbsp. of mayo and 1 tbsp. of the yoghurt.
- Mash the eggs with a fork and add seasonings.
TIME & Serving
- If you want a salad without bread, prepare a bed of washed lettuce. Spoon the salad onto the lettuce and serve (makes 4 servings).
- If you want the egg salad for a sandwich, toast 2 pieces of bread. Smear butter onto the bread and spoon the egg salad. Cut the sandwich in half and serve with your favourite beverage.
- Egg Salad Sandwich
© Food And Meal
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the Spoonacular Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Alternative Preparation Method: Egg Salad in the Instant Pot
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup of water
- Ice bath (a bowl with ice and water)
- Begin by placing 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot’s inner pot.
- Carefully arrange the eggs on a steamer basket or trivet inside the Instant Pot. This will prevent the eggs from touching the water directly.
- Seal the Instant Pot with the lid and set the valve to “Sealing.”
- Set the Instant Pot to “High Pressure” using the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” button. Cook the eggs for 5 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, perform a quick pressure release by carefully turning the valve to “Venting.” Once the pressure is released, carefully open the lid.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the eggs immediately to the ice bath. Let them sit in the ice bath for about 5 minutes. This will stop the cooking process and make them easier to peel.
- After the eggs have cooled in the ice bath, gently tap them on a hard surface to crack the shell, then peel. The shells should come off easily.
- Chop the peeled eggs into small pieces and proceed with your favorite Egg Salad recipe, mixing them with your preferred seasonings, mayo, mustard, and other ingredients.
Tips for making Egg Salad
- Classic Sandwich: Spread your creamy Egg Salad between two slices of fresh, soft bread, add some lettuce and tomato, and you have the quintessential Egg Salad sandwich.
- Lettuce Wraps: For a low-carb alternative, spoon your Egg Salad onto large lettuce leaves and roll them up for delightful lettuce wraps.
- Stuffed Avocados: Hollow out ripe avocados, and fill the cavity with Egg Salad for a creamy, flavorful treat.
- Tomato Boats: Core and hollow out tomatoes, then stuff them with Egg Salad. The acidity of the tomatoes complements the richness of the salad.
- Crackers: Serve your Egg Salad with a variety of crackers or crusty bread for a delightful appetizer or snack.
- Baked Potato Topping: Top your baked potato with Egg Salad for a satisfying, well-rounded meal.
- Fresh Eggs: Start with fresh eggs for the best flavor and texture. Older eggs tend to be easier to peel after boiling.
- Instant Pot Convenience: Consider using an Instant Pot to cook your eggs for a hassle-free, no-fail experience. The ice bath afterward makes peeling a breeze.
- Seasoning Balance: Experiment with your seasonings, but always find the right balance of salt, pepper, and any additional flavorings to enhance the taste.
- Proper Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, but remember that Egg Salad is best when freshly made. It tends to get watery over time.
- Chop Uniformity: When chopping your eggs for the salad, aim for uniformity in size to ensure even distribution of flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions about Egg Salad
- Can I store the Egg Salad in advance? Absolutely! Egg Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. However, it’s best when served fresh.
- How can I make my Egg Salad less calorie-heavy? For a lighter version, you can use Greek yogurt or a combination of mayo and Greek yogurt instead of full mayonnaise. This will reduce the calorie content while still retaining creaminess.
- What’s the best way to avoid overcooking the eggs? The Instant Pot method mentioned above helps you achieve perfectly cooked eggs. If you’re boiling eggs, don’t forget to set a timer to prevent overcooking. Plunge them into an ice bath immediately after boiling to stop cooking.
- Can I customize the seasonings in my Egg Salad? Absolutely! Egg Salad is highly customizable. You can experiment with different seasonings, like paprika, dill, or a touch of hot sauce, to suit your taste.
- What are some creative ways to serve Egg Salad? Beyond the classic sandwich, you can serve Egg Salad on crackers, in lettuce wraps, as a topping for baked potatoes, or even stuffed in hollowed-out tomatoes or avocados for a unique presentation
Whip up a delectable Egg Salad in no time! Discover serving ideas and cooking tips. Share this recipe and subscribe for more culinary delights.
Experience the culinary brilliance of Chef John at Food And Meal Restaurant. With over 20 years of global expertise, My innovative creations and unwavering dedication to cooking have earned me a well-deserved reputation. My passion for gastronomy is showcased in every dish, combining fresh, local ingredients with harmonious flavors and captivating presentations. My ability to tell a story through my food reflects my profound understanding of culture and emotion.