Stacked Enchiladas originated from Mexico and are corn tortillas wrapped around with your choice of filling. You can choose from a variety of ingredients such as meat, seafood, cheese, beans, vegetables or combination of those. Finally it is covered with a chili pepper sauce or an already-made enchilada sauce.
- ½ lb. of spicy pork sausage
- ½ cup of onion, diced
- ¾ cup of green bell pepper, diced
- 1 4.5 oz. can of diced green chiles, drained
- 4 eggs
- 1 10 oz. can of red enchilada sauce
- 4 small tortillas
- 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ½ tsp. of kosher salt
- Preheat your oven for about 375°F and while you’re at it, heat also a medium skillet over medium-high flame.
- Add the spicy pork sausage and continue to cook until it is browned. Using a wooden spoon, break the sausages and after the sausage was cooked, add the onion & green bell peppers. Cook until the onion and peppers are tender which can take for about 5 minutes. Toss to combine everything and transfer into a bowl. Set the bowl aside and go to the next step.
- With the same skillet over medium flame, add 4 scrambled eggs and remove them from heat.
- Put the ¼ cup of enchilada sauce into a 10-inch round, oven-safe skillet.
- Add 2 flour tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce (never mind if they overlap).
- Add half of the sausage mixture and half of the scrambled eggs.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on top of the eggs and drizzle with enchilada sauce.
- Place the remaining two tortillas on top of the cheese and then the remaining sausage. Layer the eggs on top and then the cheese. Final touch—drizzle again with the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or at least until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven, cut into square wedges, serve and enjoy!
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 10 minutes
- Cooking : 20 minutes
- Serving : 30 minutes