Mantousare soft, puffy and fluffy homemade Mantou Chinese Steamed Buns that are easy to make. You can partner them with a nice bowl of hot noodles or egg soup. Or you can break them horizontally just like a hamburger and put savory fillings or spread inside.
Ingredients of Chinese Steamed Buns
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. of yeast
- ¾ cup of warm water or milk
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
Directions to make Chinese Steamed Buns
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and yeast in a big bowl of water (or milk), then add vegetable oil.
- Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and add warm water (or milk) gradually. Mix together and form a ball of dough (you can either use your hands or a stand mixer with the hook attachment).
- Once the dough is formed, knead it for about 15-20 minutes. Set aside in a clean bowl, cover it with a clean towel and let it rise for 3 hours. Remember to put the bowl in a warm place to activate the yeast.
- After the dough has risen, divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form balls out of them.
- Place each ball on its own square baking paper.
- Let the balls sit again for about 20-40 minutes for them to rise more.
- Put the buns into a steamer and steam within 20 minutes or until they are puffy and cooked.
- You can also put them aside in your fridge and reheat them for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 3.5 hours
- Cooking : 20 minutes
- Serving : makes 6 buns