Chitterlings or chitlins stew is one exotic dish made from the intestines of young pigs. Considered as soul food, this deep-fried delicacy is endowed as much flavour as its own history. While it might bask in glory and pride at the centre of your table, know that its preparation is not one easy task.
Read more: https://foodandmeal.com/soul
Chitterlings or Chitlins Stew
- 20 lbs. of chitterlings, cut
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 quart/s of water
- 2 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsp. of pepper
Other optional ingredients:
- Bay leaves
- Chilli pepper
For cleaning Chitterlings or Chitlins Stew:
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- Clean and thoroughly wash the chitterlings by getting rid of the fat and dirt that is still left in the intestines.
- In a bowl, mix in the white vinegar and water and soak the chitterlings for about half an hour.
- After soaking, boil the chitterlings for about 5-10 minutes in a large pot. When you’re done boiling, drain water and proceed into cooking. (You can also clean the chitterlings using saline solution—water and salt— and then drain after several minutes.)
- Heat your pot with water over a medium-high flame and put the chitterlings.
- Add the ingredients such as garlic, onion, pepper, vinegar and salt. (You can also add the other optional ingredients at this point.)
- Cook for about 3-4 hours and serve with rice or cornbread with cooked greens.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 3 hours
- Cooking: 3-4 hours
- Serving: 8-10
Incoming search terms:
- what is chitlins in Turkish delicacy