Tawa Sabzi or Tava Fried Vegetables are a common buffet menu especially during the marriage season. Depending on your choice, the vegetables are tossed in masala, sprinkled with some chaat then served in hot tawa. You can use any vegetables that are commonly bought and available in the market but vegetables like big mirchis and arbi can also be added in order to make your buffet somewhat, if not very festive.
Ingredients of Tawa Sabzi
For the Vegetables
- 5 pcs. Karela or Bitter Gourd
- 15 – 20 pcs. Pearl or regular onions
- 5 pcs. Baigan or Small Eggplant
- 12 pcs. Paneer Sticks
- ½ kg. Bhindi or Okra
- 1 pc. Large Potato
- 2 tbsps. Oil
For Spicy Mix
- 2 tsps. Sukha Dhaniya or Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds, roasted
- 2 tsps. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp. Pomegranate Seed Powder
- ½ – 1 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Haldi or Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Amchur or Mango Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Eliachi or Cardamom Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp. Chaat Masala
- 1 pinch Jaiphel or Nutmeg Powder
- 1 pinch Hing or Asofetadia
- 2 pcs. Medium Onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp. Garlic Paste
- ¼ cup Yogurt, beaten
- 3 pcs. Large Tomatoes, pureed
- ¼ – ½ cup All-purpose Cream (optional)
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp. Kasoori Methi or Fenugreek Leaves, dried
- 2 tbsps. Oil or Ghee
- ½ cup Curd and salt mixture for Karela Marinade
- Prepare the vegetables first by cleaning the Karela or bitter gourds. Slit it lengthwise then toss it in curd and salt mixture before refrigerating it for 30 minutes. Clean, wash and cut the okra lengthwise in half then bake it in an oven heated at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until it becomes crispy. Also clean, wash and cut the rest of the vegetables and slice the paneer.
- Grease and heat the kadai then fry the vegetables one by one starting with paneer, and then the onions, potato, baigan then the marinated okra until all are cooked before setting it aside.
- Prepare the dry spices by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl, mixing it well before setting it aside.
- Prepare the Masala by adding cumin seeds in an oil-heated pan. When it starts to sizzle, put the garlic and ginger paste, sauté for a minute then add the onions. When the onions are cooked, add the tomato puree and let it evaporate. Add the curd and the spices, mixing it until everything is well-blended. Add some salt, cream and some water to keep the masala moist. Add Kasoori methi and adjust the taste before mixing the vegetables. Spread on hot tawa and serve.