Every year, especially during the time of Navratri, people carefully choose the right food so that they will stay full and energized all through the day. This is the reason why potatoes usually become a part of their diet during this time. In addition to that fact, people don’t use onions and garlic during this time. A special kind of salt is also being used as a part of Navratri observation. The entire event is carefully done and observed every year as a part of Indian Tradition.
Here’s another one of the delicious potatoes recipes that’s very easy to prepare aside from the fact that it only requires a handful of ingredients. Griddle cooked potatoes are tossed in a marinade of green chutney, yogurt and spices to create this mouth-watering recipe.
- 3-4 pcs. Potatoes, medium to large size
- 2 tbsps. Vrat ki Green chutney
- 3 tbsps. Beaten Curd or Yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Dried mint leaves, crushed
- 1 tsp. Roasted cumin seeds , crushed
- 2 tbsps. Chopped cilantro leaves (for garnishing)
- 2 tbsps. Oil/Ghee
- 2 tsps. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Red chili powder
- Sendha Namak to taste
- Before you start cooking, make sure that you have prepared all of the ingredients in a table so that you can focus yourself in your cooking.
- Wash and pat dry the potatoes. Even though large potatoes can be used in cooking this dish, the medium-sized ones are much preferred due to the fact that it cooks much faster. Make sure that the potatoes are dry in order for the potatoes to fry easily.
- Next, prepare the marinade by combining some vrat ki chutney, beaten curd, red chili powder, lemon juice, roasted cumin seeds and dried mint leaves into a separate bowl. Mix it well until it looks like a paste.
- After that, cut the potatoes (along with the skin), put it in the marinade and start tossing until the potatoes are all coated with it. Let it stay there for an hour so that the potatoes will absorb the marinade along with the flavor.
- After one hour, grease the tawa or griddle. Once it becomes hot, put the marinated potatoes, cover it and cook over a medium flame. If the potato becomes easily dried, sprinkle some water. Cook until the potatoes become tender.
- Once finished, put the cooked potatoes in a serving bowl or pan and serve it along with some chutney.