Indo Chinese vegetable Manchurian are deep-fried veggie balls that can be enhanced with specially prepared sauce. It’s one dish that everybodyshould try to cook and eat with their family. In preparing this dish one should take note of the fact shaping and frying should be simultaneous in order to make perfectly firm Manchurians. The process should be quick and organized to avoid rejects during the frying process.
For the Manchurian balls
- 5 cups of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 medium size carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 medium size capsicum or green pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. of black pepper powder
- Oil (for deep frying)
For the sauce
- 2 ½ cups of vegetable stock or water
- 1 green onion, chopped finely
- 2-inch piece of celery, chopped finely
- 1-inch piece ginger, chopped finely
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 4-5 chilies, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp. of cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. of soy sauce
- of vinegar
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 2 tbsp. of oil
- Extra ½ cup of water
For the Manchurian:
- Get the cabbage, carrot, capsicum and green onion into the food processor. Don’t stop till they are processed finely. If you don’t have a food processor at home, be patient in chopping the veggies till the bits are very fine.
- Get the chopped ingredients and put them on a muslin cloth. Squeeze the moisture from the bits and put them in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, corn starch, salt and pepper and mix them well.
- Create small balls, pressing them tightly in order to have a compact form.
- While doing the balls, prepare skillet and set over a medium high heat. Pour the oil and wait until it boils before dropping the balls.
- Work quickly in forming the balls to avoid moist from getting out of the veggie mixture. The moist will prevent you in getting the firmness and form you need to acquire for the Manchurians.
- Remove already cooked balls into a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove the balls from the paper towels when the oil has been absorbed and place them into a dish.
For the sauce:
- Mix corn starch and water to make a paste and set aside.
- Heat skillet, pour small amount of oil and wait until it is hot. Add garlic ginger, green chillies and celery, then sauté them for about one minute or so.
- Add soy sauce, salt and sugar and mix them well.
- Add the veggie stock and vinegar then bring the sauce into a boil.
- Add the corn starch paste into the sauce. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes or at least until it thickens.
- Add the green onions and turn off the heat.
- Before serving, add the Manchurian balls and garnish with more green onions.
Time and Serving
- Preparation : 30 minutes
- Cooking : 30 minutes
- Serving : for 4 persons